Friday 6 December 2013



A Tribute to Toronto (T.O., T.Ro, T.dot, Tarana etc.)


I have selected the city of Toronto to be the home base for the main character of my novel for a variety of reasons.  I am coming to the end of my novel writing process. I've completed 22 chapters of the intended 24 and an eagerness and excitement is overtaking me at the thought of beginning my next writing project; this being, starting up an online lifestyle magazine.  The magazine will include articles and editorials on everything from health, wellness and fashion to the newest hot spots and upcoming events. This new venture will allow me to share, on the regular, all of the reasons I already love Toronto while also discovering new reasons to love this remarkable city! The magazine will be a tribute to all that the G.T.A has to offer and will focus on  exposing its beauty and appeal by way of real people and businesses that make it what it is, fabulous!



Mayor Rob Ford aside, the metropolis that is the T.dot is a melting pot of  talented, hard working dreamers and revelers who seek to make this city the best that it can be. Recently voted "Most Youthful City in the World" by the Youthfulcities initiative, Toronto provides just the environment for a young entrepreneur, student, lawyer, teacher, actor, musician etc. to thrive in his or her career or studies, whilst being able to maintain a balanced enjoyment filled lifestyle due to the infinite list of things to do, places to go and people to see.

Ten reasons I heart Toronto:

10. It's warmer in the winter than the city I grew up in is!

 Much love, Ottawa. You are always in my heart.

Winter surfing at The Beaches in Toronto!
9. The shopping.

 Helloooo Yorkville, Eaton's Centre, Yorkdale and Queen West!



8. The entirely entertaining public transit journeys. 

I will never forget being serenaded by a woman who truly believed she was Whitney Houston while riding on the Bloor/Danforth line. Her rendition of "The Greatest Love of All" brought a tear to my eye and had the entire subway car singing along with her.



7. The markets including the ever so popular and historical St. Lawrence Market.

Aside from the more permanent locations, there is also no shortage of pop up markets offering the best of country goodness in the heart of the city.


6. The historical landmarks, museums and galleries.

The Distillery District is one of my faves, because who doesn't want to enjoy a delicious beer in a historical setting and meander along cobblestone streets only to find delicious pastries, coffees and fascinating art work? I'll be heading to the District's Christmas Market this weekend. Head on down!



5. The diverse communities and neighbourhoods.

 One I find myself visiting frequently in the summer is The Beaches. Can't get away to the Caribbean like you had planned? Head to the Beaches to catch those rays then burn off the triple scoop double chocolate ice cream cone you consumed by strolling or jogging down the boardwalk a few miles.



4. The nightlife and entertainment.

King West is perpetually reinventing itself and the nightlife is always stellar. Can't get in to one event or club? You're sure to find a brand new venue, right around the corner, offering free admission and an atmosphere that will make you forget you ever intended to go elsewhere.



3. The restaurants.

If you're a foodie, Toronto is the city to be in. New top rate restaurants are constantly opening their doors to the masses in this city and no matter what you're in the mood for, be it Chinese, Moroccan or Greek etc., you're sure to find it within a 5 kilometre vicinity of wherever you are.




2. The festivals and events.

 Is there ever a weekend in Toronto that there isn't a festival of some sort happening? I pose this question in hopes of an answer. Please do tell!



1. The people.

This multicultural metropolis is home to some of the most charismatic and incredible people.  By saying this, I'm not simply referring to the iconic figures residing in this city, but those remarkable every day individuals. Each day, for every negative interaction I may witness between two people, I witness twice as many kind gestures and good deeds. Whether these involve a teenager giving up his seat for an elderly woman on the subway, or a young woman helping a blind man to cross the street, or a simple smile and a friendly hello in my condo building's elevator from a complete stranger, kindness and consideration are alive and well in the T.





It's no wonder I selected Toronto as the main city of residence for the young, yet bitter at heart, struggling enthusiast, Portia Delaney.



Much love T.O.


Please follow the links below to learn more about the Because I am a Girl cause initiated by Plan International:
http://becauseiamagirl.ca/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_AQA1xb4Is&feature=youtu.be
http://plan-international.org/

Follow me on twitter: Jessica Ashley @City_Rhapsody
Happy reading!

Jessica Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment