Saturday 9 November 2013



L.C. and the City


Please follow the links below to learn more about the Because I am a Girl cause initiated by Plan International:
http://becauseiamagirl.ca/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_AQA1xb4Is&feature=youtu.be
http://plan-international.org/

As I have noted in previous posts, my novel has been inspired by a number of amazing people from my life. One particular friend, who I am continually thankful for and in awe of due to her commitment and dedication while striving to attain her dream, no matter what challenges life throws her way,  has become not only an inspiration to me in terms of my devotion to completing this project, but also has become my muse for the main character's career aspirations.


My good friend, let's call her L.C., picked up and moved to Toronto after leaving law school behind, to chase her dream of becoming a fashion designer. She is beyond talented and can scrawl out a flawless sketch of the most couture looking garment at the drop of a hat and then can make that sketch a reality with her sewing skills. I had the pleasure of being roomies with her for a time, and believe it when I say, she's got a passion for fashion. Dress forms took over the basement with pinned on creations; I would have gladly worn any in a heartbeat. Fabric swatches decorated the floor along with sketches and measuring tapes.


 She wowed me from the fateful day we met on my 27th birthday, when I was a newcomer to Toronto. Thanks to the bond between my roommate at the time, let's call her Jax, and L.C., the two invited me to the home of the fashionista where I met the core group of lovely ladies I now call my besties. They celebrated my birthday with me as if they had known me for years and I instantly found the female loves of my life.


LC was successful in attaining a degree in fashion, rightly so, yet to maintain a livelihood in the costly city of Toronto, it's difficult to pour your heart solely into your one true passion. L.C. has continued to keep her creative spark alive by continuing designing,  contributing to fashion blogs and now attends special events as a correspondent for Fashion Studio Magazine, all the while working a 9-5 office job in the heart of Yorkville. I feel with every inch of my being that her talent and drive will one day allow her to fully transition over to the career of her dreams

It is no wonder that I modeled my main character's dream to enter the fashion world after this dear friend of mine. The main character, Portia's, medical office job is not her calling;  styling for the runways of Paris, New York and Milan is her dream. She sets out to achieve all of this and more, in the same determined manner L.C. has sought out to make her passion her livelihood.



I withdraw my sketches from my bag and spread them across his drafting table for him to peruse and to critique. I finish organizing them and take two steps back so I am standing directly next to Nina. She grabs my hand and I feel her give a little squeeze in support of the clearly nerve racking situation. Michele puts a pair of dark framed glasses on and leans in so close to the designs that it seems as though he’s attempting to use his sense of taste and smell to make his judgement about the designs. He peers and seems to waft in each sketch for a full minute at a time, inspecting every pattern and detail included. Moving from one to the other, I begin to feel a bit worried when sighs and deep breaths accompany his study. As he makes his way to the final design, peers, groans and takes a step back, I hold my own breath while waiting for the verdict. Michele spins on his heel to face me, removes his spectacles, hangs his head and I suddenly feel a rush of fear.

It is by way of the challenging, nerve racking and intimidating situations that we truly arrive at our dream outcomes.

Happy Birth Week, L.C.!!! Love you much xoxo



Happy reading,
Jessica Ashley






No comments:

Post a Comment