Wednesday 6 November 2013



What's Tantalizing Without Titillating?


Please follow the links below to learn more about the Because I am a Girl cause initiated by Plan International:
http://becauseiamagirl.ca/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_AQA1xb4Is&feature=youtu.be
http://plan-international.org/

Now every great novel, well whichever novel I deem as "great", is so because of the characters within it, and the relationships within it. While it is wonderful to read about the bonds between a solid group of girlfriends and exciting to read about the toxic circumstances that may arise due to certain individuals that are written into the main character's circle, be it by work or pleasure, it is the romances and torrid love affairs that cause me to flip through those pages at a rapid fire pace. I think most ladies would agree, yes? Well the men who work their way into the lives of the quirky ladies in my novel, The Tantalizing Tale of a Bitter Sweetheart, inspire just such reaction. Perhaps the male characters are not quite the Casanovas one might associate with the usual fiery Harlequin romance genre and may be a bit subtle in their advances, but is it not true that the subtle yet substantial development of a passionate romance is much more exciting for the senses (in fiction and real life) than one that comes on instantaneously without question?

Portia's dream world initially is far removed from her reality,


He tenderly kissed my neck as he ran his fingertips along the small of my back and pulled me in tightly to then meet his soft lips with mine.  My whole body seemed to be melting in his embrace while he caressed my mouth with his own. It was a kiss that was so unimaginable I could have stood there forever needing nothing more........... The words that are suddenly harassing my ears become louder and louder while the image of my picture perfect proposal begins to fade into a swirling swiveling sketch and then nothingness aside from, “ Get up! Wakey wakey! Portia!” Oh damn it all to hell.

However, her prospects and romantic circumstance, greatly improve when her own tenacity and attitude gears up for a win. Take Guillaume for example, a Parisian fashionisto who wanders into the very cafe at which the main character, Portia, is enjoying her first Parisian made espresso,

As I’m contemplating what the remainder of the week will bring, the entry bell on the doorway jingles and I catch a sight of the most delectable man I have ever encountered in person. He strides past me in a confident and deliberate manner towards the wretched human being behind the counter. To my amazement the dishevelled little man greets him with an enormous smile and begins making his order promptly while carrying on what sounds like a jovial and pleasant conversation, although the French being spoken is completely lost on me.  I scan the scene and determine that this gorgeous new arrival is actually quite the regular at Café Lateral and must be one hell of a charmer to transform the mood of that unwelcoming and miserable little man into this exuberant individual I now see before me.

As they continue in their interaction, I cannot help but take in the pure magnificence of the man before me.  Clothed in a navy Polo cable knit sweater which fits just right to show off his well -formed chest and strong arms, jeans which sit perfectly, not too loosely and not too tightly. They adhere so nicely to his backside that I am fully aware it is remarkably toned and delightful to look at. Unfortunately, however, my scanning of his backside has turned into animalistic ogling and when I eventually divert my eyes back up to his face I see that he has finished his interactions with the café barista and is now giving me a concerned look.  A sudden wave of embarrassment begins to take me over but immediately dissipates! Good god this man must be something special because I don’t even care that he has caught me glaring at his ass as if it’s my prey and I’m the hunter. He is unbelievably handsome and I will glare if I want to. 


He saunters over to the side counter where he begins to add what looks like vanilla shavings to his cappuccino and I take in everything from the neck up.  Smooth caramel coloured skin, a chiseled jaw that even Michelangelo would have had trouble mastering on his portraits of Greek gods, the perfect amount of scruffy yet sexy stubble framing his undeniably delicious lips, and those perfect eyes that are so clear and vibrant, it’s as if I’m gazing into the waters of the Caribbean. I breathe it in, all of it and as he glances at me one more time with the awareness that I have been checking him out this entire time, he smiles to display a perfect set of teeth and two perfectly positioned dimples, still evident within the scruff. I exhale perhaps a touch too loudly because he lets out a chuckle and makes his way toward me.

What's a Parisian adventure, without a Parisian companion after all? Portia's vivacious sidekicks each welcome new romances as well, although not all bud and blossom; some burn and fizzle, however, each male character becomes an integral part in the course of the novel's plot.



In the words of the most renown playwright and poet of all time, There have been many great men that have flattered the people who ne'er loved them.
William Shakespeare 

How much fun it is to fabricate a few more!


Happy Reading,
Jessica Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment