Thursday 21 November 2013



Wanderlust

To lust after wandering... that must be what this term I have become so accustomed to using as a descriptor for my own adventure seeking behaviour means. Well Wikipedia (yes..yes...I used Wikipedia..gasp! The English teacher, who tells her students to never use Wikipedia as a source for reliable information, went against her own rule) defines Wanderlust as, "a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world." So there you have it, a lust to wander this planet and to reap the benefits of the experiences had while doing so.

 Of this descriptor I am guilty as charged. Swirling around inside me is a constant need to feed my appetite for exploration of new destinations; to meet an array of fascinating people from new and exciting locales and to learn as best as I can about their culture and lifestyle. In the back of my mind as I am typing this is a bucket list a mile long of the countries and remote destinations I wish to visit next; Argentina, Peru, Chile, Costa Rica, Fiji, China, Japan, Brazil and the list continues. I have been so fortunate in my life to have been taken along on family trips to far off places, such as Columbia, England, and much of Europe. My parents have much to do with my now innate globetrotting ways.

It was when I finished my education that I began setting off on my own adventures. Some retraced the pathways traveled at an earlier time in my life. My appreciation for the somewhat familiar locations and cultures grew when I was reintroduced to them as an adult.  I have taken away numerous wonderful friendships that continue to this day from my times spent in England and Spain, especially.

 This past year, however, after enjoying a summer teaching in Spain and having seen the majority of Europe, I was made aware that it was time to pay attention to the fascinating cities in Canada's own backyard. I finally visited the Big Apple which allowed me to be introduced to someone that I now cherish as becoming my main inspiration behind my "little" writing project.  He’s an individual who has not confined himself to one role in the world; an individual who constantly seeks new and exciting opportunities and whose drive to attain his dreams, goals and ambitions awoke something in me. The passions which had been so long buried beneath the surface of expectation and the labels stamped on by achieving a post-secondary education, began to seep through. For this I will always be grateful and will hold him dear to my heart.

I have personally chided myself for using my hard earned dollars to feed my need to travel, but when I truly reflect on all of the incredible people that have come into my life due to my insatiable need to explore, I no longer regret, and am instead thankful for each and every journey I've embarked on, regardless of the cost.  Aside from continuing to write for the love of it, I also intend to achieve the seemingly insurmountable goal of crossing each and every destination off my bucket list. Life here is temporary and time is fleeting.

Portia Delaney, is in fact a character who, much like myself, yearns for adventure and new experience. As written in previous entries, Portia makes her way to Paris and also makes the acquaintance of numerous important individuals who bring both positive and negative outcomes to her journey. In a way, Portia herself is at the mercy of a type of wanderlust, yet not in the way one typically yearns to wander. Portia's wanderings have to do with self-identity. Her mind wanders and calculates the hurdles she will have to clear before arriving at the career she lusts after so intrinsically. One such hurdle comes in the form of a Ms. Liv Pickard, a definite road block in more ways than one to the ever so dainty and proper Ms. Portia Delaney,

I want to….. I want to rip that feather fascinator off her head and stomp on it like I were a two year old. Then I want to pluck every feather out of that ridiculous dress she is gallivanting around in and cram them up her nose.

Portia regains composure and manages to commit herself to a new perspective on the situation,

My journey will be different. Surely there are more good and honest people than terrible, carnivorous gluttons such as Liv, in this world.


Surprisingly enough, Portia's journey does not end with an exciting adventure to Paris. What's a novel about achieving one's dreams without a moment of reflection in the Empire State? 
Please follow the links below to learn more about the Because I am a Girl cause initiated by Plan International:
http://becauseiamagirl.ca/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_AQA1xb4Is&feature=youtu.be
http://plan-international.org/
Happy reading!
Jessica Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment