Wednesday 12 March 2014



Spring Fling to Summer Sweetness

Well, it's Mid-Winter Break for schools in Toronto and usually, although "winter" is included in the title, the seasons have begun to change and it is about that time to start shopping all of the new spring trends. I'm gazing out from my 10th floor condo into a swirl of blustery snow, once again, after yesterday feeling quite optimistic that we had bid adieu to the now dreaded white stuff.  We can dream can't we?


After enduring one of the worst winters on record for the city, I'm sure we could all use a little pick me up. I was hoping to be enjoying runs along the lake and strolling jacketless, sporting perhaps a light cardigan in its place, through Bloor West Village, over these holidays. Instead, I headed even further north to a location that is most often colder than Toronto; cold is cold after all. Once you've experienced instant frostbite due to needing an exposed hand to grip an early morning coffee while trekking to work, you've pretty much prepped yourself for the even greater White North. (Yes, I'll endure just about anything to ensure I've got that perfect cup of coffee to begin my teaching days.)



I have to say, that in place of the usual seasonal rejuvenation that occurs at this time and naturally brightens spirits, faking the warmer temperatures and treating yourself to a bit of bodily rejuvenation at a relaxing spa, is just what the doctor ordered in these desperate times. I visited Body Blitz in Toronto not long ago and followed this up with a visit to Lac Leamy Hilton's Spa this week. Both experiences were like a temporary escape from the relentless elements, yet not quite as effective as a beach holiday.(There's still time to hop a plane, however.)


Toronto Fashion Week is fast approaching, and though the fashion forward are eagerly anticipating the fresh designs to be unveiled, I must say that while the city remains blanketed in what one would normally associate with a 'ringing- in of the new year' style snow, it unfortunately puts a bit of a damper on the event. Let's hope the luck of the Irish results in some spring-like temps, for the event that is set to commence on March 17th.



Likewise, I am looking ahead to spring 2014 with excitement but often am discouraged by what seems like a never-ending deep-freeze. My novel is set to be launched late spring-early summer and I've begun making the plans for the launch soiree. It is, however, quite difficult to imagine decor for the patio and summer cocktails I intend to serve at the event, whilst completely under the effects of mind-numbing temperatures. It's like the ice-cream headache that wouldn't quit.

In due time I hope to be devouring a dish of Rocky Road attempting to combat the sweltering heat. It's just around the corner. IT HAS TO BE!




Please follow the links below to learn more about the Because I am a Girl cause initiated by Plan International:
http://becauseiamagirl.ca/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_AQA1xb4Is&feature=youtu.be
http://plan-international.org/

For copy editing services check out my site by clicking here
Follow me on twitter: Jessica Ashley@City_Rhapsody


Happy reading!

Jessica Ashley Dafoe




No comments:

Post a Comment