Saturday 1 March 2014



Destination Relaxation

After a week wherein I was forced to lay my own muse aside in order to focus on the demands brought forth by my 8 to 4 gig teaching future world leaders, writing report cards and working tirelessly to prepare their proudly written manuscripts to be published by a children's publishing house, I can now get back to basics; back to focusing on my own manuscript, that which has safely arrived back from my editor looking even more stunning than before and ready to be further glamified by the publishing house.
In all honesty, however, the balancing act is a tough one. This week was most certainly the most grueling I have experienced since the beginning of the year, and this summation of the past 7 days has made me stop and reflect. Not on myself, but on individuals that I know who are constantly expected to wear 2, or even 3, hats on an ongoing basis. I give kudos to all of you career 9 to 5 or even sometimes 9-9 moms and dads out there that I know. I have great respect for you because while I am here sighing and complaining about my heavier 8-6 days of the past week, and not being able to focus on my passions and self, you all are in constant demand with zero personal time.  But you all do it well and wear those hats like rock stars.

As for me, well, when stress has of late been cranked to the max and there is a window of opportunity to escape and leave it all behind; to just clear the mind and rejuvenate the soul, I act on impulse (something I have actually been chiding my students to steer away from, being impulsive) But I 'm not talking about jumping on a toboggan and sliding down the indoor school steps here, as a few of my boys did this week. I'm talking about heading to a destination of calmness and enjoyment. One that washes away the week's memories wherein a student, who has decided he has an obsession with fire, brought in matches and began striking them without a second thought, nearly setting my classroom carpet on fire. 



So after the final report card was written, the last trip with my boys to the principal's office was complete, and the final  student's manuscript was signed, sealed and delivered among the rest to the children's book publishing house, destination relaxation became my focus. The destination chosen along with my counterpart for the getaway to serenity, I now find myself in surroundings which make those memories fade into nothingness for the time being and new found memories of enjoyment and stress-free revelry are forming. 

My experience has always been that making time for me is of utmost importance. Whether by curling up with a good book away from the demands of the everyday, or jet setting to a beach surrounded locale for a 36 hour unwind, or heading to wine country for the much needed effects that a stellar glass of vino brings, me time is a must. 


That being stated, this sudden escape has actually lit a fire under me (figuratively, not literally as my pyromaniac student attempted to achieve) to begin creating the outline for my next novel project. I can't wait to get started!

Please follow the links below to learn more about the Because I am a Girl cause initiated by Plan International:

For copy editing services check out my site by clicking here
Follow me on twitter: Jessica Ashley@City_Rhapsody


Happy reading!
Jessica Ashley Dafoe



No comments:

Post a Comment