Wednesday 16 April 2014



A Rose By Any Other Name...

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
                                             
Very true, Juliet, very true. However, I am becoming more and more aware that names are much more important to humankind than to the flowers we select to accent our houses and our gardens or to demonstrate affection for a loved one with.





Our given name is such an integral part of our identity and attached to every important document, every earned certificate and recognized success, every introduction (granted honest information is provided) etc. 


I've struggled over the past few months determining whether or not to write under an alias. I guess what I mean is 'pen name'. I'm no spy or criminal, believe it or not.  The final decision to do just that has not been an easy one. I'm bound to my name and a part of me would love it to be my given name that is printed across the cover of my novel and future writing projects. I've worked hard for the end result so isn't it only right that me as me is displayed for full recognition?





I love my last name,  passed on quite obviously by my wonderful dad. It's a strong name, one that I've signed proudly whether on students report cards or at the courthouse when fighting one of the 300 parking tickets I've acquired in this city (grrrrrr). It's who I am. So why write under a pen name? For a couple of legitimate reasons. The main reason being that Jessica the educator is far removed from Jessica the novelist. I'm not saying that I have a split personality, just that wearing two hats brings forth associative expectations. I suppose it's not the easiest to explain my reasoning, but it's the decision I've made and I'm sticking with it.


The last name I finally decided on after contemplating which of my relatives and ancestors' names best suit the 'Jessica Ashley' of my own, is 'Dafoe' after my great grandmother who was a woman to be admired and who will always be remembered for her loving and enduring spirit.




'Jessica Ashley Dafoe' it is and although it's not my own I suppose it does smell (or perhaps I should write 'sound') as sweet. It is, after all, a part of my heritage. I just need to start working on my signature. Sheeesh, I just perfected my signature for my given name.



Please follow the links below to learn more about the Because I am a Girl cause initiated by Plan International:

For copy editing services check out my site by clicking here
Follow me on twitter: Jessica Ashley@City_Rhapsody


Happy reading!
Jessica Ashley Dafoe






No comments:

Post a Comment