Wednesday 23 April 2014



A Tale of Two Endings With Great Expectations

From the time I was a teen, the writing of Charles Dickens amazed me. His masterpiece (one of many), Great Expectations,  was the first that captivated and astounded me.  I was a 15 year old avid reader and was asked by my 10th grade English teacher to select a novel for an independent study. Great Expectations sat eagerly awaiting my attention on my parents' bookshelf. I picked it up and dusted it off, eyeing the cover uncertain as to what mysteries were lurking behind the rather bland jacket.



A seemingly heartwarming rags to riches tale on the surface quickly morphed into a sinister and surprising tale of deception and manipulation. The characters, all purposeful, intermingle and ignite the excitement that brings the unexpected ending about. The flurry of emotions stirred up due to the weaving and interacting of characters in the various sub-plots equates to, quite simply, a remarkable effort.

For years, after reading many other of Charlie's novels, A Tale of Two Cities, A Christmas Carol, Oliver Twist etc. , I continued to feel simply amazed at how well he integrated all characters and developed each, no matter how menial in the beginning, to hold a more pertinent role as the plot moved forward. I remember contemplating the process  that he would have taken in planning the plot. I resonated on the intricate detail he must have put into his drafts and wondered as to whether or not he knew the purpose each character might have right from the initial stages of completing his manuscript or if he worked each in upon second or third revision. Later in my days at university, I was made aware of the fact that Dickens wrote many of his masterpieces in weekly installments in a newspaper, which perhaps answers my question and sheds light on the fact that he, although I'm sure had a plan, developed his characters as he went and wove plots together in the moment.



I knew that if I ever wrote a novel, I wanted to avoid creating filler characters who had no real purpose to the plot. Inspired by Dickens but unsure as to what direction my novel would take, I set off with only a rough outline in my grasp. To be honest, all that my outline involved was a few scribbled ideas about what my main character would be like and what her end destination might be. I purely wrote and added details in the moment and somehow stayed true to my intended goal. I see each character as being valuable to the plot. If one were removed, events within the novel would be null and void. Gaping holes would be rampant throughout.

I was beyond ecstatic when the editorial reviewer agreed that I had achieved this end when she commented that each character within my novel "weaves a lively dance around the heroine, Portia." I remember saying out loud, "She gets it!"



Now I'm not saying that my talent is on par with old Charlie's, but I do believe that his flawless works became the example for my plot structure. I must admit that it was when selecting the appropriate ending that I hit the first and only road block. I almost went with the "choose your own adventure" ending to avoid making the wrong decision.

I, however, went with my heart and chose the ending I knew that I, as a reader, would most appreciate, an ending that leaves more to be told. A satisfying conclusion intermingling fantasy and reality in balance.

I hope you enjoy it and will continue to follow more tantalizing tales as Portia's journey, along with her lively counterparts, continues.....






Please follow the links below to learn more about the Because I am a Girl cause initiated by Plan International:

For copy editing services check out my site by clicking here
Follow me on twitter: Jessica Ashley@City_Rhapsody


Happy reading!
Jessica Ashley Dafoe

No comments:

Post a Comment