Sunday 8 June 2014



Oh, so hey, yeah so I'm a published author, but what now?



I'm a published author! A dream of a lifetime is now a reality. I have yearned for this moment since the fourth grade when my teacher raved about my story writing abilities and handed me the Young Author's Award after she insisted she read my solemn tale R.I.P. Katie Marshow, for the entire 3rd and 4th grade to hear. I was too shy to read it myself. I remember the story was intended as a tear-jerker and included supernatural elements. It is the account of a young girl who dies suddenly in a tobogganing accident and then continues to communicate with her loved ones in the afterlife. Apparently I wasn't always adverse to the genre of the paranormal.



I'm currently sitting at my local Starbucks while The Boss' gentle harmonies and soothing yet husky voice serenades me. A song I'm not familiar with but one with lyrics that are exactly representative of my feelings at this exact point; lyrics expressing the recent achievement and excitement that in itself brings a sense of euphoria but also an unsettled and perturbed feeling. The "what now?" syndrome. 


Yes, I am continuing to outline and set up the action of events for the sequel to my debut novel, The Tantalizing Tale of a Bitter Sweetheart. Yes, I intend to continue blogging about everything involved in the marketing process and the excitement about touring. Yes, I intend to continue to dabble in other various forms of writing, such as script writing and children's writing. However, none of these newly set goals will ever recreate the absolute elation I feel in this moment; the moment of my life-long goal being brought to fruition. Or will they? See, I'm new at this whole author thing. Does that same passion envelope an author with every piece they set out to write? I suppose my fear is that from now on all writing endeavors will be completed in an anxious manner while attempting to rediscover the same passion I've felt while writing my first novel, but to no avail. I guess only time will tell.



I've already indicated that I am a bit overly critical of myself and sometimes my direction in life itself. Perhaps there is a touch of Portia Delaney in me, in this regard. Once again, I feel more than blessed by all of the support I've received and encouragement from friends, family and (holy crap) fans? Yes I guess I have a few of those. It has been an unbelievable year, and I fully intend to keep you all updated on here in regards to my continuing journey through my touring and on into my experience while writing the sequel. Oh boy!

I will leave you with the most recent review written about my novel, by the lovely Lynda Castonguay of Fashion Studio Magazine :

With a mature tongue and welcomed wit, Jessica Dafoe transports us into Portia Delaney’s daily grind as a medical assistant with her heart pounding dream of being a fashion designer dictating her every direction.


Jessica injects the story with the fanciful we all know fashion to be but her narration does not stray from the realities of reality - in that, to dream sometimes means to struggle. As her story unfolds, with personal and professional blunders peppering the pages, a message also unfolds: the fight - from conception of the dream, to the follow through, to the outcome - is worth it.

Please follow the link to read more of Lynda Castonguay’s  fashion based reviews http://www.fashionstudiomagazine.com/



Please follow the links below to learn more about the Because I am a Girl cause initiated by Plan International:
http://becauseiamagirl.ca/

Connect with me on Linkedin Jessica Ashley Dafoe
For copy editing services check out my site by clicking here
Follow me on twitter: Jessica Ashley@City_Rhapsody



Happy reading!
Jessica Ashley Dafoe

No comments:

Post a Comment