Saturday 18 January 2014



Food for Thought

As I said in previous posts, I'm currently reading through my completed novel and determining how it flows as a whole. After spending an entire year on a project like this, it is interesting to see how the events and experiences occurring in my own life over this duration have shaped the tone and mood of the novel itself.

Food is a major part of who I am. No I'm not Betty Crocker in the kitchen, but I am driven by my foodie tendencies. My teaching examples almost always involve food to simplify concepts and for understanding. My current grade 4 class calls me out on it every time I select sushi rolls, Kit Kat bars or pizza as a means to teach them fractions and measurement. If I am aware that I will be indulging in Asian cuisine in the evening, my mind fixates continuously on this for the entirety of the day. I know I'm not the only one out there with this mind-set. Come on, support me in this...




Upon reading my novel, I am entertained by how I've written Portia's palate pleasing selections as an extension of my own. This was completely unintentional and the majority of Portia's character is far removed from my own tendencies in terms of interaction and behaviour. It seems as though, when it comes to food, my own likes and dislikes found their way in relentlessly.

In the beginning portion of the novel, Portia is down-trodden and a bit blue. She indulges in my go to snack when events have got me down, the Italian delight, pizza-pie! Pizza of any kind has this natural ability to comfort and awaken the obstinate senses that tend to shut off in times of distress. It's a favorite of people young and old for a reason. Margarita, Hawaiian, Meat Lovers, cheese and pepperoni, goat cheese with roasted vegetable... what's not to love! Damn now I want to order a pie..



As Portia's motivation and inspiration kick in and she begins to push her boundaries, her taste buds follow. Her selections become much more international going from Indian curry chicken to Parmasan veal schnitzel, to pho and tempura sushi back to delectable home made desserts then to butternut squash soup, sprinkled with nutmeg followed by baked salmon, smothered with a honey-dijon sauce and paired with a lovely Pinot Gris. ***sigh*** My mouth is actually watering and I think I may need to make a sushi, curry chicken run on top of ordering that pie.

And then there is chocolate, which should be in a food group all its own...It's a big part of my life and finds its way into the day-to-day of Ms. Delaney.





Needless to say, the girl enjoys her food, as do I. Don't even get me started on the drinks! Cosmos, Manhattan's, Merlot, double shot espresso etc... my taste buds, so incessant, are responsible for the culinary focus of Portia's journey. Bon appetit! Bottoms up! "There is no sincerer love than the love of food." -George Bernard Shaw





Please follow the links below to learn more about the Because I am a Girl cause initiated by Plan International:
http://becauseiamagirl.ca/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_AQA1xb4Is&feature=youtu.be
http://plan-international.org/

Follow me on twitter: Jessica Ashley@City_Rhapsody


Happy reading!
Jessica Ashley Dafoe






No comments:

Post a Comment