Monday 13 January 2014



Real Reverie

 I was listening to the radio on my way to work this morning and the first thing I heard Roz and Mocha talking about on my favourite morning show was the no pants subway ride that happened  yesterday. I thought to myself, "Hmmm, no pants on the subway? That's different." Then they continued to explain that the hoards of pantless participants were baring almost all for a celebration of silliness that has found its way to numerous metropolises annually for 13 years now and I thought "Now that is awesomely different!" I am a silly sort and a different sort so it is music to my ears that silliness is celebrated annually. As Coco said "To be irreplaceable one must always be different". I'm unsure as to how the elegant Ms. Chanel would react to the pantless commuter trend on the catwalk, however. I can see her now grasping at her pearls and gasping in pure disdain at the sight. It would certainly be a "different" and dare I say "irreplaceable" one.


I am sure that when Coco uttered those words her hopes were for individuals to strive to better themselves in order to in turn be respected and accepted. Being so at ease with yourself that you are perfectly confident enough to allow the free spirit within to be expressed by way of humour and fun whether it be by partaking in a pantless subway ride or giving it all you've got at a karaoke bar, from my viewpoint, is a manner of bettering oneself as well. It's so unquestionably necessary to enjoy the frivolities in life. Learning to laugh more and make light of situations that should not cause us the stress that we may sometimes allow, will only result in a better life. 



I struggled with the decision as to whether or not I would write my novel in a serious voice or to involve my natural tendency to be lighthearted and humorous in my writing. I figured why fight off and lock away what is innate within? There were moments when I was tempted to add somewhat inappropriate language or actions as it seemed fitting for a specific character. I always thought twice, mainly "What will my parents think when they read this?"

 Well the discussion came up not long ago with my parents when I was discussing the editing process. My parents quite obviously asked to read my novel as soon as possible and I replied, "Well you can, but I just want you both to know that there may be some circumstances and some words that you find highly inappropriate..but..." Dad stopped me by replying, "Jess, nothing you could write would or could ever shock or surprise me. We're proud of every word." Suddenly a weight was lifted, allowing me to purely and truly write and edit without restraint. How could I have ever had a worry in the world on the subject when the very two who I was most nervous about offending with my silliness are the king and queen of silly themselves and the ones I inherited my nuttiness from?



I suppose this is all to say that staying true to who you are makes you irreplaceable and the best at whatever it is you choose to be or do. Dreams are made real when we throw away our tendencies to fit some restrictive societal mold or to please others.



Break the mold and simply be.


Please follow the links below to learn more about the Because I am a Girl cause initiated by Plan International:
http://becauseiamagirl.ca/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_AQA1xb4Is&feature=youtu.be
http://plan-international.org/

Follow me on twitter: Jessica Ashley@City_Rhapsody


Happy reading!
Jessica Ashely

No comments:

Post a Comment