Saturday 4 January 2014



"Nobody puts Baby in a corner"

So the time has arrived to begin a new chapter. No, not a new chapter in my novel, but in the novel writing process. The transition from pouring my heart out in hopes of creating a plot and developing characters that will be engaging and identifiable to readers, to that of perfecting, polishing and printing the said creation (Ie. primping, no not pimping, primping it for the party, so to speak) is underway.




Over the years I have heard novelists and writers of lengthy pieces describe the process of creating these as" a labour of love".  I now know what it is they were referring to. Although a fictional novel, the characters that are introduced and events that unfold, throughout my work, are a part of me. Writing is not just a hobby or a way to spend time, it's a passion and a love of mine. The product of that love is like my baby. Don't worry mamas! I don't intend to imply that writing a novel involves nearly the pain, hormone induced emotions, nor the resulting miracle. I simply view my novel as a part of me that I wish to be presented in the best way possible.

So this means taking the steps to get it to its absolute best! I, therefore, now embark on the exciting journey of completing the first edit. Yes, I've been editing all along, but I've begun an intensive read-through and am nearing the half way point. I suppose it is a good sign that I am just as engaged to read on as I would be had I known nothing as to what is to happen next. I was reading a chapter at a coffee shop yesterday that I had completely forgotten about, and on numerous occasions I found myself laughing hysterically while other patrons gave me sideways glances. I sense this is also a good sign. On the other hand, it could very well mean I'm simply sleep deprived and a bit nutty. In due time you all can be the judge of that.




The toughest portion of the process lies ahead, wherein I must hand over my "baby" to the experienced editor I have selected. This will no doubt involve some harsh criticism and suggestions for omissions of certain sections. This will be heartbreaking for me and downright torturous. It may sound silly to some and you may be thinking, "Hell, they're only words and if the editor's a professional then it's for the best!" It's just that when you have a vision and a plan and you've seen it through only to have a portion of what was produced eliminated as if it had no purpose, it gives a sense of incompleteness. It's all in the process.

From there, the cover art, dedications (perhaps you will make this page!) and biography will be produced. My baby will finally be born and primped, ready for publishing and ebook conversion. She'll be presented at my novel launch party where guests will receive a free copy with a donation of any amount to the Because I am a Girl initiative. Details for the event to follow!



I intend to continue this blog page to share more about the adventures of publishing. I will also begin branching off and writing articles based on numerous and various topics that interest me in the moment.



Please follow the links below to learn more about the Because I am a Girl cause initiated by Plan International:
http://becauseiamagirl.ca/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_AQA1xb4Is&feature=youtu.be
http://plan-international.org/

Follow me on twitter: Jessica Ashley @City_Rhapsody
Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment