Tuesday 21 October 2014



The Makings of a Tantalizing Series: How it All Began

Half the difficulty most writers face in beginning a work, regardless of whether they intend it to be a novel, novella or short story, is finding the narrative voice for the story they wish to tell.  I have these same struggles and suppose that’s why it took me until this past year to finally publish my first novel, The Tantalizing Tale of a Bitter Sweetheart. Leading up to this year I have always been an avid writer of short stories (which I never sought to publish), articles and blogposts.  Although ideas were swirling in my mind for a women’s fiction novel, I just couldn’t find the perfect voice to carry it through. 


Instead I chose to abandon the idea of writing a novel of fiction and sat down to try my hand at an autobiographical account of all of the experiences the metropolis of Toronto, Canada’s largest city, has thrown my way since moving here seven years ago. From dating falters and their hilarious and sometimes unwelcome outcomes to career hiccups and the hunt for gainful employment in a fast-paced concrete jungle, it’s been quite the rollercoaster ride. I knew I had a plethora of entertaining circumstances to recount in my writing. I pulled out my laptop and titled the work 101 Dates . I’m just going to add a bit of an aside here and let you all know that I don’t think the number is quite that high, but it sure feels like it’s an accurate estimation. To be honest the term ‘dates’ was used with a double entendre, including the typical date of companionship as well as dates on a calendar measuring the passing of time.  How very deep of me.


I began to attempt to unravel the myriad of circumstances in my head out onto the document in front of me. About two pages in I became aware that the voice of this supposed autobiography was beginning to waver to one that wasn’t even my own.  Fellow writers have always asked me whether I had ever experienced characters in my work taking on a life of their own. I quite honestly hadn’t until this point.  I now know exactly what they had been referring to. 


  My own experiences ignited the story but I found the narration straying and transforming into what resulted in my leading lady, Portia Delaney, hijacking my attempt at a humorous autobiography and taking it on a fictitious journey.

Once I noticed that my writing had in fact morphed into fiction, I ran with it and was over-joyed that the narrative voice I had been unable to find for so long had finally found me.  Portia’s characteristics and traits are definitely fictional, though some of her idiosyncrasies are most certainly loosely based on my own.  Her tale of setting out to make real her dream of becoming a force to be reckoned with in the fashion world while entangling herself in budding romances are also somewhat autobiographical. My career focus obviously has more to do with writing as opposed to fashion. However, our drive and determination are linked. Portia’s vivacious group of gal pals is also inspired by my own crew of besties that I have been so blessed to be surrounded by throughout my time in Toronto.





When it comes down to it, I now realize that the trick to writing is to actually WRITE. Just because you don’t have the perfect plan laid out in your head from start to finish does not mean that the plan won’t work itself out. Just put pen to paper, fingers to keyboard and write. I waited far too long to find the perfect voice for my novel. Once I abandoned the plan altogether and just went with my instinct to at least write something, what I was looking for came bounding into my mind and out onto my page, resulting in a novel that I am extremely proud of, The Tantalizing Tale of a Bitter Sweetheart.

Remember that you can always connect with me personally via my website at http://www.jessicaashleydafoe.com/

In addition, please feel free join me on Goodreads at https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8419937.Jessica_Ashley_Dafoe  if you want to begin your own Q&A with me. I'm happy to answer all questions, even the wacky and the weird. The wackier the better! I love thought provoking and intriguing questions, let's just be sure to keep things PG....we're just getting to know each other after all.

"The Tantalizing Tale is fabulous! It would make a great love movie. I couldn't put it down." - Caroline Jones

If you've yet to see it, check out my trailer for my novel, The Tantalizing Tale of a Bitter Sweetheart by clicking here  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzUCspmOebw

Please follow the links below to learn more about the Because I am a Girl cause initiated by Plan International:
http://becauseiamagirl.ca/

Connect with me  via my author website  http://www.jessicaashleydafoe.com/ where you'll find additional info and learn how to get your hands on a copy of The Tantalizing Tale of a Bitter Sweetheart.

Happy Reading!
Jessica Ashley Dafoe


No comments:

Post a Comment